Gluten Free Spinach and Mushroom Quesadilla
Alright, since I have started this gluten free journey, I’ve learned a few things. The first thing I learned…I am awful with diets. I failed after day 4. Second thing I’ve learned…I actually could feel a difference after 3 days. The last thing I learned, I should probably stop eating gluten. In an effort to not feel like I’m losing out on all of the things I love, I’m really trying to work with some alternatives.
For those of you who have gluten allergies, I’m sure you know the uncomfortable symptoms caused by eating gluten. For the 3 days that I successfully went gluten free, I felt great. I wasn’t tired, I didn’t feel bloated, and my stomach didn’t hurt. Not even a little bit! Now, after I ate bread on day 4, I felt terrible. My stomach was in pain, I felt bloated, and extremely lethargic. Yesterday, I went gluten free for breakfast and lunch, but not dinner. I succumbed to the temptation of pizza. Again, I felt terrible. ALL night long. Hopefully, I have learned my lesson.
On to the recipe! This gluten free quesadilla was so good! You can obviously use any veggies in a quesadilla, but I just went with what I had in the fridge since I don’t want things to go bad.
- Mexican cheese blend,I used Wegmans, which is gluten free
- Brown rice tortillas, from Trader Joes, gluten free
- Onion, diced
- Salsa, gluten free and organic, I used Trader Joes again (Believe it or not, this salsa is better then any salsa I’ve ever had!)
- Saute your mushrooms, spinach, and onion until cooked.
- Take out 2 tortillas and add cheese to both sides facing up. You can either melt the cheese in the oven or in the microwave.
- Top the veggies on the tortillas/melted cheese and put together.
- Instead of using sour cream and salsa, which I always do. I decided to opt for a more healthy choice. I just mixed together salsa and avocado for a quick “guacamole”.