Crab Mac and Cheese
Three things I thoroughly enjoy all wrapped up into one casserole…pasta, cheese, and crab. um YUM.
- Butter for the pan
- 12 ounces macaroni
- 1 ¾ cups whole milk
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup (packed) grated fontina cheese
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese (I used white cheddar)
- ½ cup (packed) finely grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup (packed) grated mozzarella cheese
- ¾ cup ricotta cheese
- 10 ounces Dungeness crab meat
- 4 TBSP breadcrumbs
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, cut into 8 pieces
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Butter a 9 x 13 x 2-inch glass baking dish.
- Cook the noodles in a large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes. Drain well (do not rinse).
- Whisk the milk, cream, flour, salt, and pepper in a large bowl to blend.
- Stir in the fontina, cheddar, Parmesan, mozzarella, and ricotta cheeses.
- Add the macaroni and toss to coat then fold in the crab meat.
- Transfer the macaroni mixture to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle breadcrumbs and place butter pieces on top of breadcrumbs.
- Bake until the sauce bubbles and the cheese melts and begins to brown on top, about 15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes.
For Next Time:
In order to buy crab meat in the store, I had to buy it by the pound. Well, I felt it was necessary to use the ENTIRE pound in the mac and cheese. DON”T do that. As much as I love crab, I could barely taste the noodles and cheese. That being said, the flavor was still really good! Also, I would probably use less liquid. I found there was way too much so I didn’t even use it all when I added it to the dish. I also would probably top the casserole with more cheddar cheese and bread crumbs.
Original recipe: Northwest Noshings and Ramblings