Anyone see on Pinterest this whole distressed canvas/wooden photo’s? Yeah I totally tried it. My friend moved into her very first place so I wanted to something different for her. I filled a black laundry basket with individually wrapped red and white wine glasses and included some black and white dish towels. I also included these two canvas photo’s. Here’s how I did it…
What you’ll need
- Canvas. I actually grabbed a package of 10, 8×10 canvas’ at Michael’s craft store for $20. They had a special so I figured why not.
- You will also need gel medium and a brush.
- Print out any photo of your choosing. I’ve only tried black and white, since it gives it a distressed/vintage look. IMPORTANT-don’t forget to print the mirror image of the picture. If you don’t, your picture will end up backwards. It’s only a big deal typically if there is writing in the photo.
- Take the gel medium and brush it onto the front of the canvas (make sure it is as smooth of a surface as possible-aka smooth out the lumps and bumps caused by the medium).
- Place the picture (picture side down) on the canvas. Smooth out with hands. If necessary, take a credit card and smooth out all of the bumps on the surface.
- Let dry. I let it dry over night and it was fine the next day.
- Once dry, take a spray bottle and spray the canvas, section by section. When you have wet a section, start rubbing your fingers on the paper (gently) until the paper begins to peel off. Warning, this is a long process.
- I found that if you over wet the surface, it tends to peel more of the picture off. I did it layer by layer and let it dry each time before I began peeling again.
- It will not be perfect, hence the distressed look!
- Once the photo is dry, brush on the gel medium to “seal” the picture.